miscjoy

MiscJoy

Writer. Book Reviewer. Shower Singer. Gadget Girl.

(Reviews posted at The Book Pushers)

True Love at Silver Creek Ranch

True Love at Silver Creek Ranch - Emma Cane

This is a slow-moving slice-of-life contemporary Romance set in the small mountain town of Valentine. It has everything going for it that I enjoy: mountains, ranches, horses, strong female characters, attractive war-weary veteran male lead all wrapped up in a small town vibe. The story itself has some sweet ancillary elements to it that hang out in the background: community efforts to support veterans, a troubled teen who needs some guidance, a group of feisty Grandmas (“the Widows”), a businesswoman who just wants to help the women of Valentine feel pretty, refurbishing old buildings within the town into thriving businesses. These elements ghost in and out of the narrative and support that slice-of-life feel. However, the primary focus of the story – the romance between Brooke and Adam – took awhile to grow on me.

A lot of that has to do with how the story begins to take shape. First, the insta-attraction trope is used to develop a base for Brooke and Adam’s relationship. Rather than having the relationship develop organically, the attraction felt forced. Also, everyone starts immediately scheming to get them together. I kept asking why? The only answer I could come up with was because Adam was the proverbial prodigal son returned and Brooke was single. But that’s not really an answer for why two people should be together...

Read the full review as posted on December 13, 2012 at The Book Pushers: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/12/13/review-true-love-at-silver-creek-ranch-by-emma-cane/

Source: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/12/13/review-true-love-at-silver-creek-ranch-by-emma-cane